While some trends in home design and décor are local, some trends are sweeping the globe. With a rise in minimalism and creating a home that is an intentional and functional haven the Danish hygee and Japanese wabi-sabi lifestyle and design trends are being embraced well outside of their home countries.
What Is Hygee?
Pronounced “hoo-gah”, hygee is the concept of creating a cozy and peaceful home with a variety of textures. Not only a design trend, but a word that is used to describe a special feeling or cherished moment. While the goal is to create a home that is cozy, everything from furniture to throw pillows, and storage solutions are designed to be a work of art. There is nothing pretentious about hygee, as the goal is to be comfortable and inviting. Some common design elements include:
- Textured but soft and cozy fabrics on living room upholstery, throw blankets, and throw pillows.
- A variety of candles placed in clusters, or a fireplace.
- Aesthetically appealing furniture that is comfortable to snuggle up or sit in for long periods of time.
- Handcrafted art and furniture, made from natural materials—such wood dining table.
What Is Wabi-Sabi?
Wabi-sabi is an ancient practice of Zen Buddhism, where there is an appreciation of high-quality timeless pieces. As with the love of western antiques, naturally occurring imperfections or the flaws that come with age are part of the appeal—even better if you know the story behind the imperfection. For example, chipped paint, rusted hardware, or asymmetrical art are appreciated for being unique. Some common design elements include:
- Mixing antiques and heirlooms with modern décor.
- Handcrafted elements such as pottery and artwork.
- Wood floors and exposed brick and beams.
- Mixing and matching of wood grains, as well as imperfect wood grains.
- Embracing the natural distressing of furniture and art.
Perfection is not the goal of either hygee or wabi-sabi, but instead a simple, functional, and comfortable space. Both trends create balance and an eclectic and timeless beauty, providing you with a comfortable haven where you can relax and recharge from the stressors of your daily life. TMF 家匠 has the perfect furniture and accessories for either design trend.